Asphalt Solutions Plus provides premium sealcoating services in Battle Creek, MI, Lansing, MI, Kalamazoo, MI, Jackson, MI, and the nearby areas. We offer comprehensive sealcoating according to the highest industry standards to deliver long lasting results for our customers.
Asphalt pavement needs to be sealcoated at some point within its first year of being paved. Sealcoating can help to protect the asphalt pavement by acting as a protective barrier which minimizes pavement breakdown. It should be reapplied to maintain its effectiveness and this can be done once in every 2 to 3 years in order to keep the protective layer strong. Sealcoating asphalt pavement has many benefits the most obvious of which is an improved aesthetic appearance but there are many other benefits as well.
• Longer lasting results by as much as 300% with continued maintenance
• Money saving by reducing the need for repairs
• Smooth, non-porous surface makes snow removal and cleaning easier
• Can withstand various temperatures and maintain flexibility without cracking
• Safeguards against water penetration to prevent breakdown of pavement
• Halts oxidation which thins down the asphalt by as much as 50%
• Puts and end to raveling of aggregate
• Improves the overall safety of the asphalt
• Returns the pavement to its dark black color and minimizes surface imperfections
At Asphalt Solutions Plus, we provide coatings that are especially designed to protect bituminous pavements. This safeguards against the effects of water, weather, UV rays, petrochemicals, gas, and salts.
An asphalt sealer can be placed on with a broom or with spraying methods depending on the customer’s needs. Our sealcoating materials are ordered in bulk and mixed at our facility for the best results. Silica sand is added to make the surface skid resistant and a latex component is mixed in to reinforce the sealant properties. The addition of the latex aids in faster drying while also enhancing flexibility and durability, improving oil, gas, and chemical resistances.
A challenge often faced with sealcoating is that some contractors use it as a cure all. This is an erroneous use of sealcoating and we have listed below the most common misconceptions regarding sealcoating applications. We prefer to use a complete asphalt maintenance program for the best results.
- Sealcoating can not be used to rejuvenate pavement:
A sealer is a protective coating that is applied to the surface and can not restore asphalt to its pristine state.
- Sealer doesn’t improve the structure of pavement:
Sealcoating can not be used to change the soundness of the pavement’s structure in any way.
- Sealcoating can’t repair cracks:
Cracks should be properly repaired using a rubber repair material. Since sealcoating can fix hairline cracks it is often used in major cracks but this is not effective.
- Sealcoating does not add flexibility to asphalt:
Asphalt is thought of as a flexible pavement because of the nature of asphalt. However over time it becomes more brittle and is susceptible to cracking. Sealcoating can be used to help slow down the aging process so that flexibility is retained for a longer period of time.
- All sealer and contractors are different:
Every property manager should do their due diligence in order to make sure that contractors are using a commercial grade material. This material should fully met Federal standards and should contain additives which enhance the flexibility, toughness, and durability of the coating as well as sand to improve the skid resistance. All contractors should have tank systems on location that provides agitation to the material ensuring the sand and additives remain properly suspended and mixed prior to and throughout the application process.